Aschaffenburg is a town located in the north-west of Germany, in the Bavarian administrative district called Lower Franconia. The Renaissance Johannisburg castle is located there – it was built of red sandstone over the period 1605-1614. Johann Schweikhard von Kronberg, the Archbishop-Elector of Mainz, initiated the construction of the castle. Georg Ridinger was the architect who erected the edifice. During World War II the castle was completely destroyed, however, the decision concerning its reconstruction was made quickly. The former residence of the Archbishop of Mainz is the only part of the castle that has not been reconstructed, whereas the castle’s chambers have been turned into a museum.
Photo by Kathrin Reinicke