The Imperial Court Theatre, which is known as the Burgtheater, was built in the 18th century. It is located at representative Vienna Ring Boulevard. The theatre had been opened in 1741, however, the present-day building was erected in the late 19th century, designed by the German architect Gottfried Semper. The architecture of this impressive building was supposed to refer to the Italian Renaissance. There are magnificent frescoes inside. The building had been damaged during the war, however, it was restored and today is one of the numerous tourist attractions in Vienna.