The construction of the Neo-Renaissance Cathedral in Berlin started in 1894 on the site, where a smaller Baroque church had previously been located. However, it was not magnificent enough to serve the function of the monarch’s church and for that reason Emperor Frederick Wilhelm II ordered the construction of a new temple. It was finished in 1905 during the reign of Wilhelm II. The structure suffered from bombing during World War II, but it was rebuilt in the 1970s to become one of the most important symbols of city once again. The Cathedral is so strongly associated with the identity of Berliners that they do not use its official name, but simply call it Berlin Cathedral or the Cathedral of Berlin.