Located by the Old Market, the historic Bydgoszcz town hall is the seat of the local authorities. The construction of the edifice in the baroque style began in 1644. At the beginning the building served as the Society of Jesus College. Within years its function was changing and the following repairs bereaved the building of its baroque character. The function of a town hall the building in Jezuicka Street served until 1879 when it was bought by the city. Before that the seat of power was the Old Town Hall, which was located in the middle of the Old Market. However, it did not survive to present day and its ruins were dismantled in 1830.