The erection of Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Gdańsk began in the 13th century. Archeological excavations proved that in all probability there used to be a wooden church. It served as a Catholic and Protestant temple. The church was seriously damaged during World War II, however, it was opened for religious purposes in 1955 despite the fact that the reconstruction was still being continued. “The Last Judgment” attributed to Hans Memling is the most important piece of art associated to St. Mary’s Church.